By Carolyn Martin (CHEC Director of Government Relations)
And So It Begins, Again
The march toward more government programs, more government control over our families and our livelihoods, and more restrictions on our inalienable rights has begun. Last year was bad enough, but despite this being an election year, those who run our government have not finished implementing their complete transformation of our beautiful state. And so it begins, today is the first day of the 2024 legislative session.
Parental rights have been exchanged for a child’s rights. Religious liberty has been dwarfed by special rights given to presumably oppressed people groups. What about homeschooling? So far, we have been able to keep the dam from breaking on our freedom to educate our children how we see fit. Yet, there is much opposition coming from many directions. State alphabet soup agencies, departments, and boards. School choice and anti-homeschool advocates. Local school officials and boards. Legislators on both sides of the aisle.
There is no way I can withstand them alone. I rely greatly on God’s help to see and understand these attacks. But each of you also plays an integral part. First and foremost, this is a spiritual battle. God’s enemies hate what He has created – especially children, the family, and the church. Homeschooling is a lifeboat for the preservation of our families and our faith. It is essential that you stay true to His call to raise your families in the admonition of the Lord, or everything I do is meaningless. Pray to God for His protection and provision for me and every homeschooling family in this state.
Unfortunately, I see on the horizon many liberties that will be removed from us this year, but let it not be the ability to homeschool without government control! God has been faithful to us since the homeschool law was enacted thirty-five years ago. As we ask the Lord to show us what it means to be eternally vigilant and how to safeguard what He has given us, it will require sacrifice from each of us.
The price of liberty is eternal vigilance. Unknown Author
Commit to Stay Informed and Engaged!
Will you consider sacrificing some time to stay informed and engaged during this legislative session?
- Join the Colorado Homeschool Freedom Team (HSFT) and the Facebook group.
- Share with your group of friends my weekly prayer emails (including a list of bills following and action items) and legislative blog posts.
- For a more in-depth understanding of legislation and the legislature, join the Legislative District Connection (LDC) which meets virtually once a month.
- Register and participate in Meet Your Legislator Day (MYLD) on Thursday, February 15th.
- Register and attend CHEC’s 30th Homeschool Day at the Capitol (DAC) on Thursday, April 11th.
- Watch for CHEC’s action alert emails and take action when needed!
If you can do more, please contact me!
Trusting in the mighty power and grace of Jesus,
CHEC Director of Government Relations