All homeschooled children from qualifying counties are invited to join CHEC’s annual spelling bee! Winners are then eligible for the statewide Denver Post Spelling Bee, and qualifiers from that competition will compete in the National Scripps Spelling Bee. (All homeschooled children are invited – not required to be affiliated with CHEC.)
Be creative and have fun with your preparation. Spelling study groups can be formed from your support group, with other families, or within your own family with multiple siblings. Work hard to prepare, then bring the family for competition day: it’s a positive experience for all participants and will help students prepare for the statewide bee!
CHEC Spelling Bee
- WHEN? January 19, 2019, 8am – 12pm
- WHO? Any homeschool student in the state of Colorado (except for Boulder County residents, who must participate in the Boulder County Spelling Bee). The speller must not have passed beyond the 8th grade on or before February 1, 2019. The speller must not have reached his/her 15th birthday on or before August 31, 2018.
- COST? $25 per student.
- REGISTRATION? Registration will open in the fall for the 2019 spelling bee.
- SCHEDULE? The Bee includes the written test, a break, and the oral test. (Exact schedule will be announced later.)
- SHARE? Join the event on Facebook to share with your friends.
The CHEC Spelling Bee is organized under the guidelines of the Denver Post. The age and grade requirements are as follows:
- The speller must not have passed beyond the eighth grade on or before February 1, 2019.
- The speller must not have reached his 15th birthday on or before August 31, 2018.
- The focus of the Bee will be for students in the 4th to 8th grade. However, younger students are welcome to participate.
The written portion of the CHEC Spelling Bee is also the qualifying portion for the Colorado Statewide Bee. Find the main source of words by signing up for the Word Club on spellingbee.com.
You can also find study helps and other tools and resources on the Spelling Bee website under the “Parents and Students” link.