Come to the annual Colorado Homeschool Day at the Capitol in April and stand for educational and religious liberty with over a thousand other freedom-loving people from around the state.
Homeschool Day at the Capitol is both a fun field trip (see below for all the activities) AND the #1 way to make an impact on your legislators’ support for homeschooling freedom.
Enjoy your right to homeschool everyday by making a stand on this day!
|Pre-events||Purchase the Future Statesman Handbook to complete at home|
|Feature your Homeschool Graduate on a Poster — click here to learn more and submit your student's info for consideration|
|9:00 am||Opening of the Colorado Senate & House||Capitol - Upstairs|
|10:30 am||Interactive Family Activities||Capitol - Lobby|
|Noon||Family march with fife & drum||Around the Capitol|
|12:15 pm||MAIN EVENT: Rally||Capitol - West steps|
Click each activity to view more information:
Pre-Event: Purchase the Future Statesman Handbook for kids and families
The Future Statesman Handbook for Godly Government & the US Constitution, published by CHEC, gives your students an engaging overview of law, government, and history from a Christian perspective. Over 40 pages are filled with hands-on activities, fascinating historical facts and stories, and research project starters that are good for a variety of ages. You and your children will gain an enthusiasm for understanding how our country was founded and is run today, and you’ll be equipped to get started making an impact in your own sphere of influence. Chapters include:
- Foundation for biblical law
- Christ and the law
- Historical figures that impacted Western freedom
- Stephen Langton and the Magna Carta
- The Mayflower Compact
- Early American Thinking on Government
- America’s declaration of independence
- The Role of Pastors in America’s Founding
- Biblical jurisdictions
- Branches of government
- Bill of rights
- US Constitution
- Economics for the civil government
- How to pray for our leaders
- How to communicate with your legislators
- PDF download only, $8
- PDF download + workbook (mailed to you in April), $12
- PDF download + workbook (picked up onsite at the event), $10
Pre-Event: Feature your Homeschool Graduate on a Poster
We will be selecting homeschool graduates to feature on posters that will be displayed inside the Capitol through the week of Homeschool Day at the Capitol. Each poster will include a current photo of the homeschool graduate graduate along with a short, bullet-style bio which will emphasize their current occupation and contributions to their communities. We’ll select graduates from the submissions and take care of creating and displaying the posters. Click here to learn more and submit your student’s info for consideration.
Capitol: Directions & Tips
The Colorado State is located at 200 E Colfax Ave, Denver, CO 80203.
- What to wear? Due to the formal business atmosphere at the Capitol, all attendees should dress in business or church attire (or historical costumes) — first impressions are important. Dress nicely, speak kindly, and keep children quietly and respectfully by your side.
- Driving? There is plenty of paid parking (street or lot) near the Capitol, but please note that there is no public parking available at the Capitol. Car pooling is encouraged – make the drive a fun one with other homeschool families! Click here for a map of suggested parking areas.
- Light Rail? This could make for a fun add-on to your field trip! The light rail train comes within just a few blocks of the Capitol and Pillar of Fire Church. For route, schedule, and price information click here.
9:00 – Opening of the Senate and the House
Attend either the House or the Senate opening in the morning and see how the Colorado legislature opens the day. Please arrive 15 minutes before the start time; everyone must be seated by the start time, and space fills quickly!
10:30 – Interactive Family Activities in the Capitol
- US Constitution Quiz
- Capitol Day Photo Booth
- The History of Homeschooling in the US & Colorado
- Flag History & Etiquette
- Roles and Levels of Government
- Capitol Building Self-Guided Tour
- Biblical Jurisdictions
- American History
- Colorado History
11:15 – Lunch
Eat lunch before the rally. You can pre-order Chick-fil-A sack lunches when you register, or bring your own sack lunch.
Please note: Pre-ordering closes after Saturday prior to the event. There will be a limited number of lunches available to purchase onsite from the CHEC table.
12:00 – March around the Capitol
Continuing our tradition for many years, families will march together around the Capitol behind fife and drum in a parade, ending at the Capitol west steps just in time for the rally to begin.
12:15 – MAIN EVENT: Rally!
This is the most important part of the day! We will gather with over a thousand people to make our statement loud and clear: Homeschoolers value our liberty!
The rally will feature music, recognition of elected officials, and special guest speakers.
Please invite grandparents, neighbors, and friends – everyone who values educational and religious liberty. Let’s stand strong together! And beware – the weather can be unpredictable, so dress in layers. (And pray for sunshine!)
Learn more about the rally here.
Free time: Visit Your Legislator
We encourage you to set up a visit with your legislator as a part of Colorado Homeschool Day at the Capitol on April 13th. (You can find your legislator and their contact information here.) Personally meeting your elected official will help you know first-hand who is making decisions on your behalf at the Capitol and it will strengthen our stand for homeschool liberty in both the House and the Senate.
When you contact your legislator to set up the appointment, encourage them to attend the noon rally. We would be pleased to recognize them during event. (Email email@example.com to let her know.)