“Oh give thanks to the Lord; call upon His name; make known His deeds among the peoples!” Psalm 105:1
What a glorious day!
April 8, 2016 was Home Education Day in Colorado and the annual Homeschool Day at the Capitol. Over 1,700 were registered for the day, which included:
- Packing out the Capitol gallery seating for the House and the Senate at the opening of the day (with an amazing opening at the Senate; see below for video)
- Touring the Capitol with self-guided tour books and hearing a live dramatic reenactment of Patrick Henry’s “Give Me Liberty!” speech.
- Attending the Constitution class by homeschool grad, lawyer, and professor Jenna Ellis
- Participating in the Liberty Celebration with a homeschool children’s choir, Pete Olson’s story of homeschooling in the early days, and a dramatic presentation by Dick Stenbakken of the Philippian jailor (and how Christians living for the Lord through persecution can impact others)
- Eating lunch on the lawn
- Marching with hundreds behind a fife and drum around the Capitol building
- Joining in on the rally on the west Capitol steps and following the Psalmist’s cry to “Give thanks to the Lord; call upon His name; make known His deeds among the peoples!” Special music by the Gesi sisters, introductions of various elected officials, the presentation of the Statesman of the Year and the Ruth Beechick awards, a keynote address by Former US Senator Tom Tancredo, and a grande final closing with Daniel Craig singing America the Beautiful (listen here).
We are rejoicing for each family who came, for the beautiful sunshine, and for God’s continued grace in granting us homeschool liberty.
Two things to know:
1. Mark your calendars: The 2017 Day at the Capitol will be on Friday, April 17th.
2. Consider making a donation: Families like yours make the Homeschool Day at the Capitol possible through donations. Will you partner with us to continuing hosting this important event? (You can donate online here.)
We encourage you to continue to stand for homeschool freedom throughout the year. Here’s how:
- Stay tuned to CHEC eblasts for legislative alerts (sign up here)
- Be encouraged and filled up to continue the journey at the Rocky Mountain Homeschool Conference
- Join the Homeschool Legal Defense Association
Praise the Lord for an incredible day!
Opening of the Senate
The opening of the Colorado Senate on April 8th featured a homeschool grad singing the National Anthem, homeschoolers leading the Pledge of Allegiance, and many senators sharing their support and appreciation for homeschool families. If you missed it, please watch the video – you will be encouraged!
- 18:45 | Introduction of Homeschool Day At The Capitol
- 20:15 | Danny Craig sings the National Anthem on the floor of the Colorado Senate
- 24:45 | Homeschool children lead Senate in Pledge of Allegiance
- 30:50 | SJR16-027 (Resolution of Home Education Day in Colorado)
- 31:20 | SJR16-027 Read at length
- 33:40 | Senator Lundberg on SJR16-027
- 35.30 | Senator Crowder on SJR16-027
- 37:10 | Senator Neville on SJR16-027
- 38:10 | Senator Woods on SJR16-027
- 39:35 | Senator Kefalas on SJR16-027
- 40:20 | Senator Holbert on SJR16-027
- 41:45 | Senator Marble on SJR16-027
- 43:30 | Senator Scheffel on SJR16-027
- 47:05 | Senator Cadmen on SJR16-027
- 52:15 | Senator Lundberg on SJR16-027
- 56:30 | SJR16-027 adopted
- (Original video found here.)