By Legislative Liaison Carolyn Martin
As we continue down this unprecedented road of isolation and shutdown, the most important thing we can do is seek the Lord through prayer and His Word. I hope you will consider joining me on the Colorado Homeschool Freedom Team. I send out a weekly prayer email during the session and monthly when the legislature is off.
Here is a sample excerpt from this week’s prayer email:
Blessed be the name of God forever and ever, for wisdom and might are His. And He changes the times and the seasons; He removes kings and raises up kings; He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding. He reveals deep and secret things; He knows what is in the darkness, and light dwells with Him. (Daniel 2:20b-22 NKJV)
(See also Colossians 1:9-14.)
We know God raises up and removes leaders of nations (and states) for His glory. God has placed us here in America, “for such a time as this.” We the people are the government. God may raise leaders up, but we elect them and place them in their position. We have been blessed with a representative government — one that answers to God first, and then the people. It is crucial that we take our place of authority and not allow our leaders to become tyrannical dictators. Our Constitution should not be ignored because we are faced with a pandemic. Benjamin Franklin rightly warned us that, “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” I would rather die free than live in bondage to fear or to laws that destroy.
To those who have His Spirit He gives wisdom, knowledge, and power to do the good works He has ordained for us. Let us not forget light and truth are our offensive weapons. Do not be overcome by fear but look to God who reveals deep and secret things to His people. Remember the works God has performed in the past and hold fast to His promises for our future. Spread His light in the darkness wherever you find it!
- Pray for God’s provision for His church. Pastor Jason especially is asking for prayer as his church’s meeting place is severely impacted. Pray they will find a way to gather together soon!
- Pray the church will rise up and stand strong on our Constitutional rights to assemble and worship our God!
- Pray God will grant us the wisdom and strength to be His hands and feet to this hurting world.
- Pray for God’s grace and mercy to families who are not working because of the lockdown, or are struggling spiritually or mentally.
- Pray that Governor Polis will look beyond the virus data to see the impact his order is having on the economic and mental health of families in our state.
- Pray the legislative leadership will make the wise decision to return ONLY to pass necessary legislation.
- Pray the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) will not seek to use this crisis as a reason to violate our data privacy rights.
Happening at the Legislature
Next week the Joint Budget Committee begins meeting again to figure out how to adjust the budget to meet the needs of the state during this emergency. The Capitol remains closed to the public, but you can listen in here.
The full legislature is tentatively scheduled to return on May 18th.
Trusting in the mighty power and grace of Jesus,
Carolyn Martin, CHEC Legislative Liaison
Leave a Reply