Flood of Bills to Come
There are two weeks left in the session, but there are a bunch of bills still waiting to be introduced! Which means a lot of late nights and heavy reading ahead. The bills I have been working against this session are finally moving through the process after being stuck in limbo for most of the session.
Have you been paying attention to what is happening in California (CA) surrounding what some call “conversion therapy”? In 2012, CA passed a law prohibiting conversion therapy for minors — the exact same wording can be found in Colorado’s bill HB 18-1245. This year, legislators in CA decided to put forth a bill to outlaw the selling or advertising of any products or services that assist people with affirming their God-given sexual and gender identity. Some even speculate that the selling of the Bible would be banned. Is the body of Christ ready for that?
HB 18-1245 Prohibiting Conversion Therapy was heard in committee on Monday afternoon. Thankfully, the bill was sent to the Senate, Veterans, and Military Affairs Committee, which has three of the most conservative Senators on it. They voted to postpone the bill indefinitely, essentially stopping the bill. This same bill has been run four times in as many years and if the Senate falls to progressive control during the next election, we will see this bill become reality in 2019. Are we ready for that?
In the same committee meeting, two good bills were passed. One (HB 18-1348 Child Welfare Information and Services) will give foster parents more information about the children they take into their care, enabling them to better meet their needs. Another (SB 18-241 Colorado Children’s Act) will protect adoption and foster care agencies who believe that traditional families serve children best.
- Let the Senators on the Senate State, Veterans, and Military Affairs Committee know that you appreciate their votes to uphold parental rights and religious liberty by voting against HB 18-1245, and voting for both HB 18-1348 and SB 18-241! Email Senators Marble (firstname.lastname@example.org), Sonnenberg (email@example.com), and Hill (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Thank Senator Lundberg (email@example.com) for defending biblical morality and sponsoring SB 18-241!
Upcoming Committee Hearings
- HB 18-1177 Youth Suicide Prevention (including lowering the age of consent to 12 years old for psychotherapy) will be heard on Tuesday, May 1st at 1:30 pm in the Senate State, Veterans, and Military Affairs Committee.
- HB 18-1006 Newborn Hearing Screening will be heard on Wednesday, May 2nd at 1:30 pm in the Senate State, Veterans, and Military Affairs Committee.
- SB 18-083 Income Tax Credits for Non Public School will be heard on Monday, May 7th at 1:30 pm in the House Education Committee.
Interested in testifying? Please, contact me!
Please, pray for His strength and wisdom as this session wraps up.