Feeling weary or alone in your homeschool journey? Below is a list of 6 positive actions you can take to gain the encouragement you need, found in Chapter 10 of the newly updated Colorado Homeschool Guidebook, Encouragement for the Journey.
We All Need Encouragement
Are you in need of encouragement? We all are from time to time. Some days, a kind remark will keep us going. Occasionally it is time to take a serious look at what we are doing and make adjustments. Hopefully, this section will be a friendly word of encouragement as well as a resource for tracking down serious underlying problems.
Positive Actions for Encouragement
- Go to the Lord with your troubles and concerns. He is our rock and our strength, the source of all wisdom and encouragement! Reading the Psalms can be a great source of strength and comfort.
- Reread Chapter 2 – Vision. If you have thought out your reasons for homeschooling in the past, but it has been a long time since you considered these foundational ideas, pull out your dusty notes and refresh your memory. What were your long-term goals? Have they become obscured with the day-to-day reality? Make a list of the positive rewards you have reaped already. We can live successfully day by day only by keeping our long-term goals in view. Home education is a marathon, not a sprint. Maybe you have never carefully (and prayerfully) considered the reasons home education is best for your family. Follow the guidelines laid down in the Vision chapter to develop a firm foundation for your homeschool now.
- When you need help, ask someone who is committed to seeing your homeschool succeed. You need support to continue, not an unhelpful suggestion that sending your children to “real” school will solve all your problems.
- Join a homeschool group, find a friend who has been homeschooling for many years, and get counsel from “successful” homeschooling families.
- Attend the annual CHEC homeschool conference each June. There is no substitute for the kind of encouragement and inspiration this event provides. It will reinforce your vision to persevere for the long-term rewards.