Read more information about HB 1164 here.
CHEC has been closely watching the very interesting path that HB16-1164 has been taking during the last week.
Here is a bullet point overview:
- Following the February 25th committee hearing on this bill that many of you participated in, the bill was scheduled for second reading on Monday, March 7th.
- On March 7th, the bill was laid over and rescheduled for second reading on Wednesday, March 9th.
- On Wednesday, March 9th, the bill was laid over again and rescheduled for second reading on Monday, March 14th.
- On Thursday, March 10th, the bill was brought forward under special orders for second reading, even though it was scheduled for the following Monday. After a lively debate and addition of amendments, the bill was scheduled for final reading and passage on Friday, March 11th.
- However, yesterday (Friday) morning, rather than the bill proceeding through third reading and passage, the bill was extraordinarily referred back to second reading through a motion made by the house majority leader. When questioned on the motion by the house minority leader as to why there was need for further discussion, the bill sponsor refrained from providing any specifics.
- The bill is currently scheduled for a second reading (again) on Monday, March 14th.
Thank you for your continued prayers and opposition to this bill. One of the Representatives who spoke in opposition to the bill on Thursday said that she had received approximately 700 phone calls and emails regarding this bill (mostly from concerned parents) and not one was in favor of it. Your voice is important and is having an impact.
Although some improvements have been made to the bill by way of amendment, this bill is still a threat to homeschool families who homeschool under the umbrella of private schools or who use public school programs.
We will continue to keep you posted as further updates become available.
CHEC Executive Director