As the details regarding HB 1164 have come into focus, it is has become clear that this bill, in its current form, will result in a loss of freedom and increased government scrutiny for homeschool families who are required to fill out immunization exemption forms.
Immediate Action Requested
If your family desires to see your freedoms and privacy preserved, I urge you to make your voice heard in two ways:
1. Call the members of the House Health, Insurance & Environment Committee (who will be giving the bill a hearing) and share your opinion. Members and phone numbers are listed below:
- Beth McCann, Chair (303-866-2959)
- Joann Ginal, Vice-Chair (303-866-4569)
- J. Paul Brown (303-866-2914)
- Janet Buckner (303-866-2944)
- Daneya Esgar (303-866-2968)
- Steve Humphrey (303-866-2943)
- Janak Joshi (303-866-2937)
- Gordon Klingenschmitt (303-866-5525)
- Lois Landgraf (303-866-2946)
- Susan Lontine (303-866-2966)
- Dianne Primavera (303-866-4667)
- Kim Ransom (303-866-2933)
- Su Ryden (303-866-2942)
When you call, you can simply share that you urge the representative to oppose the bill. Phone calls are the most effective in reaching the committee members, but you can also email them (just click their name above).
2. Come to the House Health, Insurance, and Environment Committee Meeting on Thursday, February 25th at 1:30 pm at the Colorado State Capitol (200 E. Colfax Ave., Denver, CO 80203). Public testimony will be accepted. Click here to find information about parking near the Capitol. The hearing was previously scheduled to be in room 0107, but they have moved it to room 0271 on the second floor.
HB 1164 Details
Through HB 1164, families who seek exemption from immunizations and who:
- homeschool under the umbrella of a private school
- participate in part-time public or private school enrichment programs
- or utilize public school at home programs
… are being sought out and will be required to file their exemptions directly with the Dept. of Health. Furthermore, these exemptions will become part of a centralized Dept. of Health database, which will be accessible to all interested government agencies.
Read Senator Kevin Lundberg’s overview of the entire bill here.
While CHEC does not have a position on whether or not families should immunize their children, CHEC is a staunch defender of family freedom and privacy. HB 1164 encroaches on both.
Please take action by calling the committee members and attending the hearing on Thursday. Thank you for joining us in standing for family freedom in Colorado!