Your immediate action is needed to oppose HB 19-1312 School Immunization Requirements, which will create burdensome requirements for all homeschool families. Both CHEC and the Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) oppose this bill. (Find Carolyn Martin’s full explanation here.)
Current status as of 4/19/19:
The bill was heard by the House Health & Insurance Committee on April 15th. (Click here to read CHEC’s update on this hearing.) The bill was passed by the committee and is now referred to the committee as a whole for further debate.
Click here to view the HB 19-1312’s progression to date
- Friday, 4/5: Introduced in the House.
- Wednesday, 4/10: Original date for hearing in the House Health and Insurance Committee, postponed due to blizzard warnings.
- Monday, 4/15: Hearing in the House Health and Insurance Committee. Over 600 signed up to testify; testimony lasted well past midnight, and the bill passed through the committee on party line. (Click here to read CHEC’s update on this hearing.)
- Monday, 4/22: Second reading on the House floor (laid over from Friday, 4/19)
- Date TBA: Third reading on the House Floor (which includes voting)
Here’s what you need to do IMMEDIATELY:
1. Call and email ALL members of the House of Representatives (beginning with your personal Representative) to state your opposition.
- Click here to use the address search to find your personal Representative
- Click here to view the full member list (including contact information) for the Colorado House of Representatives
Click here to see an example of what to say when you call (or email)
“Hello, My name is ____________. I am a homeschool parent who will be impacted by HB 1312 and I am calling to ask you to vote “no” to this bill.
HB 1312 violates the rights of all parents, whether or not they choose to immunize their children. This bill will impose significant and unreasonable burdens on my family and many others in Colorado.
This bill gives unreasonably broad regulatory authority to the CDPHE including the authority to develop a mandatory, standardized immunization exemption form that must be completed by families who seek an immunization exemption for their children. Families will be required to submit this form in-person to the CDPHE or their local public health agency.
HB 1312 expands the state-controlled immunization tracking database and unfairly targets and tracks families who seek an immunization exemption by not allowing immunization exemption data to be opted-out of this database.
This bill violates the freedom and right to privacy that we hold precious as Americans.
Please vote no on this bill.”
2. Prepare to attend the Senate hearing (date TBD) and present testimony.
We expect this bill to pass the House and move to the Senate, and we want to be prepared to fight it there. You can prepare now by composing a testimony of your opposition to the bill.
Then, please email your testimony to HB191312@chec.org. We will compile all submitted testimonies and if we receive enough, we will print and present them to the members of the Senate Committee hearing the bill. This committee will be the last place to express our voice publicly in the legislative process.
Please also plan to arrange your schedule to attend the Senate Hearing (date will be announced when it is finalized). Let’s show them we’re a force to be reckoned with!
3. Inform your friends.
We are stronger when we stand together. Please email your friends and share the link for this page on social media (CHEC.org/legislative-alert) to get the word out about this serious attack on parental rights.
4. Sign up for Homeschool Day at the Capitol.
Your families’ presence at this event is especially critical this year. We need a large attendance to make a strong impression to our legislators. This is also a good opportunity to for you to schedule an appointment with your legislator to let them know that you oppose HB 1312. Click here to learn more about Homeschool Day at the Capitol.
5. Pray fervently.
“The king’s heart is in the hand of the Lord, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever He will.” (Proverbs 21:1)
Ultimately, only God is able to change the hearts of our leaders so that this bill is stopped. Let’s call on Him!
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: Although CHEC neither encourages nor discourages parents from immunizing their children, we oppose all attempts by the state to interfere with parents deciding what is best for their children, especially when the state seeks to require burdensome paperwork or create databases to track its citizens.