We can’t wait to see you! Here’s some last-minute information you need to know before you come tomorrow. (Oh, and make sure you’re registered.)
We are representing the entire homeschool community to Colorado. Dress nicely, speak kindly, and keep children quietly and respectfully by your side. First impressions are important!
As we gather to express gratitude for our homeschool freedoms in Colorado, we pray that Christ would be glorified, families would be encouraged, and our elected officials would be positively influenced in regards to homeschooling. Thank you for praying with us!
How to get there
We recommend arriving a little early to allow time for parking and walking. The events of the day are at these locations:
- Colorado State Capitol (200 E Colfax Ave)
- Pillar of Fire Church, one block south of the Capitol (1340 Sherman Street)
There’s plenty of parking (this website has map of nearby parking lots), but please note that there is no free public parking available at the Capitol or the church. (Consider carpooling with friends to save on gas and parking costs.) Or, check out the Light Rail as an option – the stop comes within a few blocks of the Capitol. (Learn more here.)
- 8:45 am | Arrive at the Capitol for the opening of the Colorado legislature. Stop by the CHEC booth in the Capitol rotunda for an event program and special sticker.
- 9:30 am | Self-guided Capitol tours. A Patrick Henry “Give Me Liberty!” dramatic presentation at 9:45 in the Capitol Rotunda.
- OR 9:30 am | Constitution Class at Pillar of Fire Church
- 10:30 am | Liberty Celebration at Pillar of Fire Church
- 11:15 am | Pre-ordered Chick-Fil-A sack lunches available for pickup
- 12:00 pm | March around the Capitol led by fife & drum. Start at Pillar of Fire Church.
- 12:15 pm | Rally on the Capitol west steps
Other stuff to know
- What to wear? Dress up in period costume, or wear business casual (church attire) appropriate for the formal atmosphere of the Capitol. Wear shoes that are comfortable for walking.
- What about the weather? Rain or shine, the event will go on! We recommend dressing in layers to be prepared for last-minute weather changes. (But we’re grateful for the forecast of lovely weather!)
- What to bring? Water bottle, camera, jacket, and a notebook and pen for the Constitution Class.
- Coming to the opening of the Legislature? Come early to get a good seat. If you’re visiting the Senate side, families are encouraged to sing along with the second verse of the National Anthem. (The verse will be printed in the event program; find it here under House & Senate Opening.)
- What about lunch? If you pre-ordered Chick-fil-a lunches, you can pick them on the lawn just outside Pillar of Fire Church after the Liberty Celebration (about 11:15 am). There will be a limited number of lunches available to purchase onsite (stop by the CHEC table). Or, you can bring a sack lunch.
- Looking for Constitutions and Future Statesman workbooks? If you pre-ordered workbooks when you registered and haven’t received them yet, you can pick them up at the CHEC table at Pillar of Fire Church. We’ll also have some available to purchase onsite.
- Questions? Join the event on Facebook and comment with questions. At the event, stop by the CHEC booth inside the Capitol or at the Pillar of Fire Church.