Testing FAQ

Did you submit a Notice of Intent to homeschool under the Homeschool Law?  Here’s what you need to know to fulfill the testing/evaluation requirement.

Note that these requirements are unique to those under the homeschool law; if you’ve chosen to homeschool under the Non-Public School Law with an independent school (such as the CHEC Independent School), policies may differ.  Check with your independent school for more information.  View the CHEC Independent School assessment information here.

What are the testing/evaluation requirements for families under the Homeschool Law (Notice of Intent)?

Families homeschooling under the Homeschool Law (Notice of Intent) are required to evaluate the academic progress of their children in the odd grades (beginning in the 3rd grade). Students have two options to fulfill this requirement:

  • Option #1 – Evaluation: a professional academic evaluation
  • Option #2 – Test: a nationally standardized test

Option #1 – Evaluation: What is a professional academic evaluation?

A professional academic evaluation is given by an individual with one of the following qualifications:

  • A teacher licensed pursuant to CRS22-33-104.5, article 60.5
  • A teacher who is employed by an independent or parochial school
  • A licensed psychologist
  • A person with a graduate degree in education.

If you plan to do an evaluation, contact your chosen evaluator at the beginning of the school year to find out if they require a portfolio or record of the child’s work.  Click here for a list of professional evaluators.

Please note: It is your responsibility to thoroughly investigate a potential evaluator. We recommend asking for references and talking to others who have used these organizations/persons’ talents.

Option #2 – Test: Which tests are acceptable?

These tests are acceptable under the Homeschool Law:

  • CAT (California Achievement Test)
  • CTBS (Terra Nova Comprehensive Test of Basic Skills)
  • ITBS (Iowa Test of Basic Skills)
  • SAT (Stanford Achievement Test) – only available through 4/1/16
  • Note: The SAT, SAT, and ACT (college entrance exams) and the PARCC do not qualify as nationally standardized achievement tests as required by Homeschool Law.

Learn more about ordering these tests here and find places that will test your student here.

A composite score above the 13th percentile is required.

What about the TCAP or NAEP – are these required or acceptable?

Both the Homeschool Law and the CHEC Independent School policies require a nationally standardized test. The TCAP is specific only to students in Colorado and does not fulfill this requirement.  The NAEP is based on common core, and it’s so new that it is not nationally normed.

Who can give my student a test?

The requirements for test administrators are determined by the test publisher.  Both the ITBS and SAT require the administrator to have a bachelor’s degree.  Other testing companies allow parents to administer their tests.

If you are not qualified to give the test that you want to use, check here to find a list of qualified testers.

Where can I order a test?

Find a list of companies who sell tests here.  Or, find places that will test your student here.

Where do I submit the test results?

The test or evaluation results must be submitted to one of these:

  1. The school district that received the notice of intent
  2. OR an independent or parochial school within the state of Colorado that is willing to hold test scores.  If you choose this option, you must then inform the school district (that received your notice of intent) of the name of the school where the test scores are held.

The CHEC Independent School can hold your test scores if you’ve decided to homeschool under Homeschool Law.  Learn more here.

What about college entrance exams for my high school student?

These tests are not accepted under the Homeschool Law as nationally standardized tests.  However, high schoolers often take the PSAT, SAT, or ACT in preparation for college admission.  Learn more here.